Mazy Search is a browser hijacker that manages users’ Google Chrome browsers
Mazy Search is categorized as a browser hijacker that is capable to modify browser settings and manage it. In other words, this potentially unwanted program (PUP) takes over the homepage, new tab, and the main search engine and sets it to browser.mazysearch.com. These modifications redirect users to the fake search engine every time they open their browsers. Experts identified that the hijacker spreads as a fake Adobe Photoshop CC crack package and is used to track various information on the affected system.
This particular potentially unwanted program has two features — it can alter browser settings as well as perform “Managed by Your Organization” activities. Usually, similar unwanted applications like Weknow.ac, Any Search, or QSearch focus only on modifying browser settings. Thus, Mazy Search removal might be a significantly more advanced procedure than getting rid of regular browser hijackers from your computer. However, it is essential to clean your system if you want to protect your privacy.
Firstly, browser hijackers change the main search engine in order to gain access to the browsing behavior. In other terms, everything the users type into the query bar is monitored by the developers of the browser hijacker. For example, if you search for something by entering your personal details, such information is also stored on the remote network that is controlled by unknown people. Furthermore, these potentially unwanted applications can access your geolocation, IP address, browsing history, and other related information.
Reasons why browser hijackers are unsafe
Usually, the gathered information about computer users is stored and used for customized advertising or shared with third-parties. It is almost impossible to track where your data goes and who can access it. Therefore, many people might face relatively damaging consequences, such as the increased risk of identity theft or even financial losses. Even though the Mazy Search virus does not directly collect personally identifiable information, users can give that data without realizing it.
Furthermore, tracked browsing behavior allows the creators of browser hijackers to customize and deliver advertisements according to the interests of targeted users. Such activities help to attract people to click on the displayed promotional content and increase the pay-per-click revenue for the developers. Unfortunately, these advertisements are never checked for their safety and might either offer suspicious services/products or even lead to malware distribution sources.
Therefore, you should remove Mazy Search browser hijacker from your computer as soon as you notice the first symptoms. Although, note that you must get rid of the PUP with a reputable antivirus and reset your browser settings. We suggest scanning your system files with RESTORO. It is a highly effective malware removal tool that also offers to fix the damage after various infections. Later, you must reset your browser settings to the primary state. Feel free to use the quick and easy guide at the end of this article.
|Type||Browser hijacker, Potentially unwanted program (PUP)|
|Similar PUPs||Weknow.ac, Any Search, QSearch, etc|
|Symptoms||It manipulates the browser settings, including new tab URL, homepage, and the main search engine; Users are continuously forced to use browser.mazysearch.com fake search engine when they open their browsers|
|Spread||Experts spotted it spreading as a fake Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 crack on peer-to-peer (P2P) networks|
|Risks||Since it collects various data about users, they might face identity theft risks or be lured into scams leading to financial losses; Also, an increased amount of ads deteriorates computer’s performance|
|Removal||You can quickly uninstall the browser hijacker by running an entire system scan with RESTORO; Later, reset browser settings by following the instructions below|
Hijacker spreads as a fake Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 crack
It is not new that developers of potentially unwanted applications distribute them on peer-to-peer (P2P) file-sharing sites disguised as software cracking tools. This time is no different and this browser hijacker spreads as a fake Adobe Photoshop CC 2019 crack. Since many people are still using illegal websites to get paid software for free, they fall for the trick and install a potentially unwanted application instead.
Keep in mind that browsing on illegal websites is not only against the law but also highly dangerous. You should not only never download any files but also avoid visiting them in the first place. Instead, install applications only from official pages or authorized distributors. This way you will protect your system against various malware infections and ensure safe browsing experience in the future.
Additionally, some suspicious programs spread via infected advertisements that appear while users browse the Internet. They might take a form of a pop-up, banner, or any other type. However, you should stay away from all advertising content and never click on them. Otherwise, you might trigger an automatic installation of malware or be redirected to its distribution sources.
Uninstall Mazy Search virus from your PC
Mazy Search removal consists of two distinct processes. Since it is an advanced browser hijacker that performs many modifications on the affected browser, you should pay exceptional attention to the elimination procedure. First, start by installing a professional malware removal tool that could help you to uninstall hijacker-related files from your computer. Our top pick is RESTORO.
Once you remove Mazy Search and related elements from your system by scanning it with an antivirus, you should continue with the second elimination procedure. Keep in mind that the antivirus is not capable to get rid of the browser modifications. Therefore, you must reset browser settings manually. Those who are not advanced in tech and might struggle through the process should read the instructions at the end of this article.
They are designed to suit the most popular browsers, including Safari, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer and others. Just make sure that you pick the right guide and follow it attentively.
OUR GEEKS RECOMMEND
Our team recommends removing malware using a professional antivirus software and then using the following tool to repair virus damage to Windows system files:
REPAIR VIRUS DAMAGE TO YOUR COMPUTER
RESTORO provides a free scan that helps to identify hardware, security and stability issues and presents a comprehensive report which can help you to locate and fix detected issues manually. It is a great PC repair software to use after you remove malware with professional antivirus. The full version of software will fix detected issues and repair virus damage caused to your Windows OS files automatically.
RESTORO uses AVIRA scanning engine to detect existing spyware and malware. If any are found, the software will eliminate them.
Read full review here.
Mazy Search browser hijacker Removal Tutorial
To remove the unwanted program from your computer, use these instructions below to uninstall associated programs or apps from your Windows or Mac computer. Then scroll down for instructions how to clean each affected web browser individually.
Remove Mazy Search browser hijacker from Windows
Windows 10/8.1/8 users
Click on the Windows logo to open Windows menu. In search, type control panel and select the matching result. Then go to Programs and Features.
Windows 7 users
First, open Windows menu by clicking on the icon in the lower left corner of the screen. Then go to Control Panel and find section called Programs. Click on the Uninstall a program option under it.
Windows XP users
In Windows XP, click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
Uninstall unwanted programs
Once in Programs and Features, look through the list of installed programs. You can click on Installed on tab to sort the programs by their installation date.
Right-click on suspicious programs you can't remember installing and choose Uninstall. Follow instructions provided by the Uninstall Wizard, click Next and finally Finish to uninstall the unwanted program from your PC.
Remove Mazy Search browser hijacker from Mac
- Click on Finder.
- Go to Applications folder.
- Look for suspicious applications you can't remember installing. Right-click them and select Move to Trash.
- After moving all suspicious apps to Trash, right-click the Trash bin in Mac's Dock and select Empty Trash.
Remove using INTEGO ANTIVIRUS for Mac (includes scanning for iOS devices). The one-of-a-kind security suite provides VirusBarrier X9 real-time protection against Mac and Windows-based malware, removes existing threats and scans for malware in popular e-mail clients. Includes NetBarrier X9, an intelligent firewall for home, work and public connections.
Remove Mazy Search browser hijacker from Google Chrome
Remove suspicious Chrome extensions
- Open Chrome and type chrome://extensions into address bar and press Enter.
- Here, look for suspicious extensions, and Remove them.
- Don't forget to confirm by pressing Remove in the confirmation pop-up.
Change Start Page settings
- In Chrome address bar, type chrome://settings and press Enter.
- Scroll down to the On startup section. Check for suspicious extensions controlling these settings, and Disable them.
- Additionally, you can set browser to Open a specific page or set of pages via these settings. Simply choose this option, click Add a new page, enter your preferred URL (f.e. www.google.com) and press Add.
Change default search settings
- In Chrome URL bar, type chrome://settings/searchEngines and press Enter. Make sure you type searchEngines, not searchengines. Additionally, you can go to chrome://settings and find Manage search engines option.
- First, look at the list of search engines and find the one you want to set as default. Click the three dots next to it and select Make Default.
- Finally, look through the list and eliminate suspicious entries. Right-click the three dots and select Remove from the list.
Remove push notifications from Chrome
If you want to get rid of the annoying ads and so-called push-notifications viruses, you must identify their components and clean your browser. You can easily remove ads from Chrome by following these steps:
- In Google Chrome, press on Menu (upward arrow) in the top-right corner of the window.
- Select Settings.
- Go to Privacy and Security > Site Settings.
- Open Notifications.
- Here, go to the Allow list and identify suspicious URLs. You can either Block or Remove by pressing on the three vertical dots on the right side of the URL. However, we suggest the Block option, so the site won't ask you to enable the notifications if you ever visit it again.
Reset Google Chrome browser
- The final option is to reset Google Chrome. Type chrome://settings in the URL bar, press Enter and then scroll down until you see Advanced option. Click it and scroll to the bottom of the settings.
- Click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Click Restore settings to confirm.
Remove Mazy Search browser hijacker from Mozilla Firefox
Remove unwanted add-ons from Firefox
- Open Firefox and type about:addons in the URL bar. Press Enter.
- Now, click on Extensions (in the left section).
- Click Remove next to every suspicious browser add-on that you can't remember installing.
Change Firefox Homepage
- In Firefox address bar, type about:preferences and hit Enter.
- Look at the left and click the Home tab.
- Here, delete the suspicious URL and type or paste in the URL of a website you'd like to set as your homepage.
Alter preferences in Firefox
- Type about:config in Firefox address bar and hit Enter.
- Click I accept the risk! to continue.
- Here, type in the URL which has taken over your browser without your knowledge. Right-click each value that includes it and choose Reset.
Remove annoying push notifications from Firefox
Suspicious sites that ask to enable push notifications gain access to Mozilla's settings and can deliver intrusive advertisements when browsing the Internet. Therefore, you should remove access to your browser by following these simple steps:
- In Mozilla Firefox, click on Menu (the three horizontal bars) on the top-right corner of the window, then choose Options.
- Click on Privacy and Security, then scroll down to Permissions section.
- Here, find Notifications and click Settings button next to it.
- Identify all unknown URLs and choose to Block them. Click Save Changes afterward.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- In Firefox, type about:support in the address bar and press Enter.
- Click on Refresh Firefox...
- Click Refresh Firefox again to confirm.
Remove Mazy Search browser hijacker from Microsoft Edge
Remove suspicious extensions:
- Open MS Edge browser and click on the three dots button in the top right corner, then click on Extensions.
- Look through the list of installed extensions and find the ones you can't remember installing or simply suspicious-looking ones. Right-click on them and choose Uninstall. Then confirm by pressing Uninstall again.
Change MS Edge Start Page and default search engine:
- Click on the three dots again and go to Settings. First, make sure that you choose to Open Microsoft Edge with A specific page or pages option. Then click the X next to suspicious URLs and type in the one you want to set as your homepage. Click the Save icon to confirm.
- Click on the three dots > Settings. Scroll down and click on Show Advanced Settings. Then scroll down until you find Change search engine button. Click it. Here, select the search engine you prefer using and click Set as default.
Additionally, we recommend selecting and Removing suspicious search engines.
Turn off push notifications in Edge
If you keep receiving pop-up ads or other promotional content while browsing on Microsoft Edge, your browser might be corrupted by a potentially unwanted program (PUP). You have to clean it — follow these easy instructions:
- In Microsoft Edge, open Menu (three horizontal dots) in the top-right corner of the screen and click Settings;
- Click on Advanced settings.
- Scroll down to the Website permissions section. Here, click Manage permissions.
- Find Notifications and Remove all suspicious websites.
Clear browsing data
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner again and click on Settings. Find Clear browsing data section and click Choose what to clear button.
- In the next window, select all options and click Clear.
Remove Mazy Search browser hijacker from Safari
Uninstall suspicious Safari extensions
- Open Safari and click on Safari button in the top left corner. Select Preferences in the menu that appears on the screen.
- Now, go to Extensions tab. Look at the left to see all installed extensions, click on suspicious ones and hit that Uninstall button as shown in the picture. Confirm your choice by clicking Uninstall again. Repeat until you get rid of all unwanted extensions.
Change Safari Homepage and default search engine
- In Preferences, open the General tab. Here, check what URL is set as your homepage. Delete it and type in whatever URL you want to set as your Safari Start Page.
- Next, go to the Search tab. Here, choose what Search engine you want to set as default.
- Next, click on Manage websites... then Remove all... and then Done.
Remove push notifications on Safari
Some suspicious websites can try to corrupt your Safari by asking to enable push notifications. If you have accidentally agreed, your browser will be flooded with various intrusive advertisements and pop-ups. You can get rid of them by following this quick guide:
- Open Safari and click on Safari button in the top-left corner of the screen to select Preferences;
- Go to Websites tab and navigate to Notifications on the left side toolbar.
- Click on Safari > Clear History...
- Then choose to clear All history and hit Clear History button to confirm.
- Go to Safari > Preferences and then open Privacy tab.
- Click Manage Website Data... then Remove All. To finish, click Done.
- Finally, clear Safari cache. In Safari Menu, click Develop > Clear Cache.
Remove Mazy Search browser hijacker from Internet Explorer
TIP: If you are still using IE, we strongly advise using Microsoft Edge or a different browser because Microsoft is no longer providing technical or security support for IE browser.
Remove suspicious extensions from IE
- Now, go back to Toolbars and Extensions.
- Below Show:, select All add-ons.
- Right-click suspicious extensions and choose Disable, or, if available - Remove.
- If any pop-up appears, confirm your choice.
Tip: If you can't find any suspicious extensions, most likely you have uninstalled them via Programs and Features already. This mostly applies to IE browser.
Change default search provider and remove suspicious ones
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon in the top right of the window.
- Then select Manage Add-ons.
- Here, click on Search Providers tab.
- Here, we recommend setting Bing, Google or another trusted and well-known search provider as default. To do it, right-click the provider and choose Set as default.
- Now you can right-click suspicious search providers and choose Remove.
Change IE Home Page
- In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon in the top left corner.
- Choose Internet Options.
- Change Home Page URL to whatever page you want to use as your homepage.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
Block pop-up notifications on Internet Explorer
Suspicious websites can gain access to your Internet Explorer browser through push notifications. If you enable them even by accident, you will start receiving numerous annoying ads and other advertising content while browsing. The easiest way to remove push-notification viruses is by performing the following steps:
- In Internet Explorer, click on the Menu (the gear button) on the top-right corner of the window, then select Internet Options.
- Go to the Privacy tab;
- Look for Pop-up Blocker section and select Settings;
- Scroll through all URLs and you can Remove them one by one or all at the same time. Click Close.
Reset Internet Explorer
- Click the gear icon in IE menu > Internet Options. Now click on Advanced tab.
- Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset...
- Click on the checkbox next to Delete personal settings.
- Click Reset.
- To finish, click Close.
Alternative software recommendations
Removing spyware and malware is one step towards cybersecurity. To protect yourself against ever-evolving threats, we strongly recommend purchasing a Premium version of Malwarebytes Anti-Malware, which provides security based on artificial intelligence and machine learning. Includes ransomware protection. See pricing options and protect yourself now.
System Mechanic Ultimate Defense
If you're looking for an all-in-one system maintenance suite that has 7 core components providing powerful real-time protection, on-demand malware removal, system optimization, data recovery, password manager, online privacy protection and secure driver wiping technology. Therefore, due to its wide-range of capabilities, System Mechanic Ultimate Defense deserves Geek's Advice approval. Get it now for 50% off. You may also be interested in its full review.
Disclaimer. This site includes affiliate links. We may earn a small commission by recommending certain products, at no additional cost for you. We only choose quality software and services to recommend.
Scott Bolton is a senior content strategist in our Geek’s Advice team. He is exceptionally passionate about covering the latest information technology themes and inspire other team members to follow new innovations. Despite the fact that Scott is an old-timer among the Geeks, he still enjoys writing comprehensive articles about exciting cybersecurity news or quick tutorials.