- DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN meaning
- Fixing DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN error on Windows
- Fixing DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN error in Mac
- Solve DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN in Android
DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN is an error which notifies about DNS lookup failure. It prevents people from reaching desired websites online. The issue usually bothers Google Chrome users on Windows, Mac or Android devices.
The error typically comes with a message saying “This site can’t be reached” or “This webpage is not available”.
Luckily, any user can solve this problem manually or automatically – it takes some time and patience to do it, but it is possible.
The DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN error prevents Windows, Android or Mac users from accessing desired websites, raising a problem that cannot just be ignored.
The error occurs due to a DNS related issue, typically because the user’s computer fails to resolve or translate the address of the target website. In case you are facing a temporary DNS error, you may run into INET_E_RESOURCE_NOT_FOUND error.
The computer uses the DNS set in your router or modem. Usually, it is the Internet Provider’s DNS. In most cases, using a public DNS server proves to be the most efficient choice to make. However, the issue can also be related to the wrongly configured hosts file.
Due to such problem, the victim might not be allowed to access one particular or absolutely all web pages. In such situation, it is hard to understand the meaning of the error and what causes it. However, our team prepared an in-detail guide on how to fix Error code: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN in Chrome.
Fixing DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN error on Windows
Method 1. Flush the DNS and configure DNS server adresses
- The first thing you want to do is to open Run prompt. To do it, you should click on the Windows Start menu, search for Command Prompt, and then right-click the matching result.
- Here, choose Run as Administrator option. Click Yes to confirm your choice.
- Now, type in the given command: ipconfig/flushdns and click Enter.
- Open Run prompt by pressing down Windows and R keys at the same time again.
- Type into the Run prompt: ncpa.cpl and hit OK. This command launches Network Connections panel. Here, find the network adapter that is active right now and right-click on it. Choose the Properties option.
- In the Networking panel, find Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4), click on it and click the Properties button.
- Now, check the Use the following DNS server addresses option and then enter the following numbers:
Preferred DNS server: 188.8.131.52
Alternate DNS server: 184.108.40.206.
- Click OK and close the remaining windows.
Video tutorial explaining how to fix DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN on Windows 10/8/7 is provided below.
Method 2. Restart DNS services
There are two methods to restart DNS services on Windows to fix DNS PROBE FINISHED error. You can do it via Services panel, or via Command Prompt.
- Open Run prompt by pressing Windows key + R and type services.msc , press Enter.
- Now, find DNS Client, right-click on it and choose Restart. If it is greyed out, use Command Prompt method, which is described further.
- Use Windows search to find cmd and right-click on it to choose Run as Administrator. In UAC window, click Yes. Now, type two commands into the Command Prompt, pressing Enter after each one:
- net stop dnscache
- net start dnscache
Note. The described method may not work depending on the version of Windows you are using. If so, we suggest trying other methods.
Method 3. Check the URL you have entered
Now, this may sound ridiculous, but in many cases wrong URL is the cause of DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN. For example, if you enter a wrong number of www’s before the domain name, you might run into the issue, no matter if it is a WordPress website or not.
For example, if you have entered ww.bbc.com instead of www.bbc.com, you will run into DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN error.
Method 4. Reset hosts file
In case methods provided above didn’t help to resolve the problem, we suggest searching for problem in Windows HOSTS file. If you have done some configurations to HOSTS file on Windows, it might be a good idea to reset it. Please follow these detailed instructions by Microsoft on how to reset HOSTS file on Windows 7, 8, 10.
Fixing DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN error in Mac
The DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN problem doesn’t only bother Windows users. Mac users encounter this error too, especially those who like to use Google Chrome instead of Safari. The following guide explains how to fix DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN in Mac.
- Open System Preferences, then go to Network panel. Here, click on the small lock icon on the left bottom corner. Enter Administrator’s username and password and click Unlock.
- Click Advanced… and then go to DNS tab. Then click on the + button next to – and then you will see highlighted zeros below DNS Servers box. Click the highlighted set of digits and delete them. Type in 220.127.116.11, hit + again and then type 18.104.22.168, then click OK.
Geek’s Advice has also prepared a video on how to fix DNS_PROBE_NXFINISHED on Mac. The video tutorial is short and easy-to-follow, so just watch and follow the easy steps to solve the problem instantly.
Solve DNS PROBE FINISHED NXDOMAIN in Android
- Android users should go to Settings > Wi-Fi > find the current network > Modify network and then select Show advanced options.
- Here, find IP settings and set its value to Static.
- This is an optional step, but you can also change DNS settings to 22.214.171.124 and the second DNS option to 126.96.36.199.
That is it! If you managed to solve Error code: DNS_PROBE_FINISHED_NXDOMAIN issue on Windows/Mac/Android OS in a different way, do not forget to share your knowledge with others in the comments section below.
Norbert Webb is the head of Geek’s Advice team. He is the chief editor of the website who controls the quality of content published. The man also loves reading cybersecurity news, testing new software and sharing his insights on them. Norbert says that following his passion for information technology was one of the best decisions he has ever made. “I don’t feel like working while I’m doing something I love.” However, the geek has other interests, such as snowboarding and traveling.