No sound in Windows 10 is a typical error
- No sound in Windows 10 is a typical error
- 8 ways to fix audio issues in Windows 10
Sound problems in Windows 10 is a common inconvenience that prevents users from listening to music, audiobooks, records or even system sounds. Let’s say you just logged into your account and opened Youtube for some music, but surprisingly, the audio isn’t there. You cannot remember doing anything that could trigger no audio problems, but do not worry – Windows is known for malfunctions and errors that seem to appear out of thin air.
Although Microsoft has issued an official statement regarding the audio problems, we decided to look into user feedback online. After collecting methods that we discovered as the most useful, we tested them and prepared in-depth guide with images to guide you through the process. So if you find yourself with a “Windows 10 sound disappeared” problem, please continue reading below.
8 ways to fix audio issues in Windows 10
Method 1. Check hardware problems
Before you start exploring ways to fix any errors, make sure that your audio devices are okay. If you can, unplug the device (speakers or headphones) and plug them into another device, such as a computer or phone and test the sound. Just play a random video and see if the audio is available. If so, you can proceed to Method 2. If the audio device doesn’t work, you need to replace it with a new one.
Method 2. Check audio hardware cables
You need to be sure that your audio device is connected to your computer properly. Make sure that you are using the right headphone jack. Typically, audio jacks have a green outline or have a small headphone icon next to them. After connecting everything properly, test if the sound problems in Windows persist.
Method 3. Turn volume up
Now, this seems pretty obvious, but if Windows sound disappeared, you might just need to increase the volume. Don’t overdo it, though, or you might cause yourself some serious hearing problems.
- First of all, increase volume on the device you are using (speakers or headphones).
- Now, check volume settings on Windows. Click the ^ button in the system tray, then click on the speaker icon, then set the value to 100.
- Now, right-click the sound icon again and choose Volume Mixer. Here, make sure that the right options are not muted to 0.
Method 4. Fix no sound the easy way – run Audio Troubleshooter
The easiest way to fix no audio issue is to run a troubleshooter which will inform you about possible problems. Some people might advise you to download various computer optimization or fix software, but we do not recommend doing so as we think it is not necessary. You can simply use in-built Windows tools.
- In the system tray, right-click audio icon as shown previously and choose to Troubleshoot sound problems. Now, wait until the troubleshooter finds the issue, and follow the instructions given on the screen.
- Once finished, select Close the Troubleshooter.
Method 5. Configure Sound Settings
Step 1. Select the output device
- Right-click sound icon and choose Open Sound Settings.
- Choose the correct output device.
Step 2. Choose the default playback device
- In Sound settings, scroll down and click Sound Control Panel.
- In Playback tab, check if the correct device is set as default. If not, select the one you want to make as primary one and select Set Default.
- To save, click Apply and OK.
Step 3. Change audio format
- In Windows search, type Sound settings. This should find a property called Sound. Open it. Click on the audio device you are using and select Properties.
- Go to Advanced tab. In Default format, change the setting to another one and click Test. Repeat until you find the correct audio format.
- To save, hit Apply and OK.
Method 6. Fix audio drivers
The following method usually helps if you discover there is no sound in Windows 10 after update. We have noticed that many people face problems with Realtek audio drivers, so if you are one, continue reading below.
- Open Run prompt by pressing Windows key and R, type devmgmt.msc and hit Enter.
- Expand Sound, video and game controllers section by pressing the arrow next to it. Select your audio card, right-click it and select Update driver > Search automatically for updated drivers.
- Wait until updates will be downloaded and installed if there are any.
TIP: If updating the sound driver didn’t solve the problem, you can try reinstalling the driver. To do so, follow the steps given above. In step 2, instead of Update driver option, choose Uninstall driver. Confirm and wait until the process is over. Restart your computer then, and Windows will automatically find and reinstall the driver.
Method 7. Disable audio enhancements
One more trick that could make you forget the no sound in Windows 10 issue is turning off audio enhancements feature. Here’s how to do it:
- In Windows search, type Sound. Click the matching result.
- Select your audio device and click Properties.
- Now, go to Enhancements tab and put a tick on Disable all sound effects.
- To save and quit, click Apply and OK on both Sound Settings windows that are open.
Method 8. Restart Windows audio service
One more thing you can try is restarting audio services on Windows.
- Simply type services in the Windows search bar, select the matching result.
- Find the one called Windows audio, right-click it, choose Restart.
TIP: Take a look at Startup type tab while you are here, and make sure Windows audio is set to Automatic startup. If not, right-click it, select Properties, under Startup type choose Automatic, then click Apply and OK to save.
Dear visitor, we encourage our visitors to share their thoughts on our tips and point out which method helped to resolve the problem. In case you found a solution that isn’t listed here, please share it with us in the comment section. In case you are in search for more computer fix guides, please check out the Fix page on our website.
Main Geek is the head of Geek’s Advice. Whenever someone needs a computer fix or a tip, he’s there to help. He decided to launch a computer-help website with intention to teach people fix their devices manually and without hassle. In real life, Geek is a humble human being who loves travelling and extreme sports.