Transit Maps Directions Pro extension to blame for homepage changes
Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com is an optional search engine that you can add to your browser as Transit Maps Directions Pro extension. It can also be classified as a browser hijacker since some people install it unwillingly. While it is not a dangerous virus, we consider it to be an unnecessary add-on to your computer system which should be removed.
The browser hijacker can infect Chrome, Firefox, Internet Explorer, Safari and other popular browsers on both Windows and Mac OS.
As soon as the hijacker is installed, your browsers might start working differently than before. In most cases, the following sequence of events occur:
- Transit Maps Directions Pro extension changes browser’s homepage and default search engine to Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com.
- After entering a search query into the said search engine, you will experience a redirect cycle through query.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com to search.yahoo.com.
While redirects to search.yahoo.com can hardly be counted as “malicious” as some sources say, they shouldn’t happen without user’s approval. Therefore, if you are disappointed with the installed extension which pushes “new tab search” services to you, consider uninstalling Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com redirect virus now.
It is also known that Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com a product of Eightpoint Technologies Ltd., an affiliate of Polarity Technologies, Ltd.. Computer experts are aware of these well-known developers of potentially unwanted programs (PUPs). It goes without staying that if you want to keep your browser clean and fast, it is better to avoid installing such extras.
Data collected by the browser hijacker
You may not be aware that such suspicious browser hijackers tend to collect certain personal and non-personal data during your browsing sessions. Data collected by Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com browser hijacker may include your:
- Geographic location;
- IP address;
- Search activity and queries;
- Time and date about browser events such as other extensions enabled, ad clicks and even more.
Collected data may be shared with the extension developer’s partners to deliver more ads to you. We hardly believe that anyone wants more ads in their life, therefore it is yet another reason for Search.htransitmapsdirections.com removal.
Distribution techniques and tips to avoid installing similar hijackers
The extension can be installed from certain browsers’s webstores or hxxp://transitmapsdirections.com website, which plays annoying audio message shown below.
You’re almost done! Click the “Add to Chrome” button then click “Add extension” to continue
In addition, you might receive a suggestion to install it while browsing on questionable gaming or download websites. You can also be prompted to install it after installation of another related add-on or program.
Interestingly, right after the installation of this suspicious browser add-on, we received a suggestion to install Search Encrypt browser hijacker, which is almost identical and hardly useless extension.
We highly recommend you to avoid installing any extensions that suggest changing your homepage, start page or default search, because instead of providing any useful features, they simply try to direct traffic to certain search providers.
Moreover, keep in mind that potentially unwanted programs are most frequently bundled together. This technique helps to push several PUPs to curious computer users at once.
We recommend you to be careful during software installations and always opt for custom installation option. This option typically allows removing bundled extras from the installation package.
Uninstall Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com now
Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com removal is an easy process as you’ll simply have to uninstall Transit Maps Directions Pro software and/or extensions from infected browsers. You can uninstall this potentially unwanted program from your PC or Mac using instructions provided below.
Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com Removal Tutorial
To remove the unwanted program from your computer, use these instructions below to uninstall associated programs or apps from your Windows or Mac computer. Then scroll down for instructions how to clean each affected web browser individually.
Remove Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com from Windows
Windows 10/8.1/8 users
Click on the Windows logo to open Windows menu. In search, type control panel and select the matching result. Then go to Programs and Features.
Windows 7 users
First, open Windows menu by clicking on the icon in the lower left corner of the screen. Then go to Control Panel and find section called Programs. Click on the Uninstall a program option under it.
Windows XP users
In Windows XP, click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
Uninstall unwanted programs
Once in Programs and Features, look through the list of installed programs. You can click on Installed on tab to sort the programs by their installation date.
Right-click on suspicious programs you can't remember installing and choose Uninstall. Follow instructions provided by the Uninstall Wizard, click Next and finally Finish to uninstall the unwanted program from your PC.
Remove Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com from Mac
- Click on Finder.
- Go to Applications folder.
- Look for suspicious applications you can't remember installing. Right-click them and select Move to Trash.
- After moving all suspicious apps to Trash, right-click the Trash bin in Mac's Dock and select Empty Trash.
Remove Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com from Google Chrome
Remove suspicious Chrome extensions
- Open Chrome and type chrome://extensions into address bar and press Enter.
- Here, look for suspicious extensions, and Remove them.
- Don't forget to confirm by pressing Remove in the confirmation pop-up.
Change Start Page settings
- In Chrome address bar, type chrome://settings and press Enter.
- Scroll down to the On startup section. Check for suspicious extensions controlling these settings, and Disable them.
- Additionally, you can set browser to Open a specific page or set of pages via these settings. Simply choose this option, click Add a new page, enter your preferred URL (f.e. www.google.com) and press Add.
Change default search settings
- In Chrome URL bar, type chrome://settings/searchEngines and press Enter. Make sure you type searchEngines, not searchengines. Additionally, you can go to chrome://settings and find Manage search engines option.
- First, look at the list of search engines and find the one you want to set as default. Click the three dots next to it and select Make Default.
- Finally, look through the list and eliminate suspicious entries. Right-click the three dots and select Remove from the list.
Reset Google Chrome browser
- The final option is to reset Google Chrome. Type chrome://settings in the URL bar, press Enter and then scroll down until you see Advanced option. Click it and scroll to the bottom of the settings.
- Click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Click Restore settings to confirm.
Remove Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com from Mozilla Firefox
Remove unwanted add-ons from Firefox
- Open Firefox and type about:addons in the URL bar. Press Enter.
- Now, click on Extensions (in the left section).
- Click Remove next to every suspicious browser add-on that you can't remember installing.
Change Firefox Homepage
- In Firefox address bar, type about:preferences and hit Enter.
- Look at the left and click the Home tab.
- Here, delete the suspicious URL and type or paste in the URL of a website you'd like to set as your homepage.
Alter preferences in Firefox
- Type about:config in Firefox address bar and hit Enter.
- Click I accept the risk! to continue.
- Here, type in the URL which has taken over your browser without your knowledge. Right-click each value that includes it and choose Reset.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- In Firefox, type about:support in the address bar and press Enter.
- Click on Refresh Firefox...
- Click Refresh Firefox again to confirm.
Remove Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com from Microsoft Edge
Remove suspicious extensions:
- Open MS Edge browser and click on the three dots button in the top right corner, then click on Extensions.
- Look through the list of installed extensions and find the ones you can't remember installing or simply suspicious-looking ones. Right-click on them and choose Uninstall. Then confirm by pressing Uninstall again.
Change MS Edge Start Page and default search engine:
- Click on the three dots again and go to Settings. First, make sure that you choose to Open Microsoft Edge with A specific page or pages option. Then click the X next to suspicious URLs and type in the one you want to set as your homepage. Click the Save icon to confirm.
- Click on the three dots > Settings. Scroll down and click on Show Advanced Settings. Then scroll down until you find Change search engine button. Click it. Here, select the search engine you prefer using and click Set as default.
Additionally, we recommend selecting and Removing suspicious search engines.
Clear browsing data:
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner again and click on Settings. Find Clear browsing data section and click Choose what to clear button.
- In the next window, select all options and click Clear.
Remove Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com from Safari
Uninstall suspicious Safari extensions
- Open Safari and click on Safari button in the top left corner. Select Preferences in the menu that appears on the screen.
- Now, go to Extensions tab. Look at the left to see all installed extensions, click on suspicious ones and hit that Uninstall button as shown in the picture. Confirm your choice by clicking Uninstall again. Repeat until you get rid of all unwanted extensions.
Change Safari Homepage and default search engine
- In Preferences, open the General tab. Here, check what URL is set as your homepage. Delete it and type in whatever URL you want to set as your Safari Start Page.
- Next, go to the Search tab. Here, choose what Search engine you want to set as default.
- Next, click on Manage websites... then Remove all... and then Done.
- Click on Safari > Clear History...
- Then choose to clear All history and hit Clear History button to confirm.
- Go to Safari > Preferences and then open Privacy tab.
- Click Manage Website Data... then Remove All. To finish, click Done.
- Finally, clear Safari cache. In Safari Menu, click Develop > Clear Cache.
Remove Search.htransitmapsdirectionspro.com from Internet Explorer
TIP: If you are still using IE, we strongly advise using Microsoft Edge or a different browser because Microsoft is no longer providing technical or security support for IE browser.
Remove suspicious extensions from IE
- Now, go back to Toolbars and Extensions.
- Below Show:, select All add-ons.
- Right-click suspicious extensions and choose Disable, or, if available - Remove.
- If any pop-up appears, confirm your choice.
Tip: If you can't find any suspicious extensions, most likely you have uninstalled them via Programs and Features already. This mostly applies to IE browser.
Change default search provider and remove suspicious ones
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon in the top right of the window.
- Then select Manage Add-ons.
- Here, click on Search Providers tab.
- Here, we recommend setting Bing, Google or another trusted and well-known search provider as default. To do it, right-click the provider and choose Set as default.
- Now you can right-click suspicious search providers and choose Remove.
Change IE Home Page
- In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon in the top left corner.
- Choose Internet Options.
- Change Home Page URL to whatever page you want to use as your homepage.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
Reset Internet Explorer
- Click the gear icon in IE menu > Internet Options. Now click on Advanced tab.
- Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset...
- Click on the checkbox next to Delete personal settings.
- Click Reset.
- To finish, click Close.
Norbert Webb is the head of Geek’s Advice team. He is the chief editor of the website who controls the quality of content published. The man also loves reading cybersecurity news, testing new software and sharing his insights on them. Norbert says that following his passion for information technology was one of the best decisions he has ever made. “I don’t feel like working while I’m doing something I love.” However, the geek has other interests, such as snowboarding and traveling.