0123movies.com is a website which provides free online movies to watch online. It is considered to be an untrustworthy site since it serves suspicious third-party ads that promote browser add-ons, adult-only gaming sites, and similar content. Unfortunately, this site uses not-so-trustworthy advertising techniques to generate revenue, and clicking on provided ads can land you on a possibly malicious webpage.
While 0123movies.com isn’t malicious itself, its behavior is untrustworthy. In general, sites offering free content such as music or movies tend to randomly trigger pop-up or pop-under advertisements leading to gambling, gaming or adult-only sites.
Please note that the described website tends to switch hostnames (also known as subdomains), therefore its landing URL can slightly change. Currently, the site launches www9.0123movies.com page. The number next to www can change anytime.
As a rule, such pages are known to be pots of untrustworthy links, software, and possibly dangerous content. Therefore, it is recommended to stay away from such sites. If you absolutely must do something on them, try to close the ads that appear on your screen and not to agree to install anything from them.
|Type||Potentially dangerous website|
|Activity||Displays intrusive pop-up and pop-under ads, overlay ads|
|Redirects to||Gambling, gaming, adult sites|
|Recommendations||Avoid visiting this site at all costs. Close the pop-ups it opens. If you installed something from it, remove it using instructions provided below.|
Personal experience and tips to stay safe online
As I visited 0123movies website, I immediately noticed that it triggers a pop-up with a series of redirects as soon as you click ANYTHING on the page. The pop-up typically goes through a list of redirects related to ad networks until it finally loads the final ad.
The website itself serves PropellerAds that mostly advertise 18+ games. It goes without saying that avoiding these would be a great idea.
As we leave the webpage for a coffee break, we notice that it loaded an overlay ad after a couple of minutes. This ad suggests me to Add Video Converterz, which supposedly should help me find movies, TV shows, and watch these in Full HD format.
The whole ad by 0123movies contained a link that leads to get.videoconverterz.com site, which now identifies itself as a Search By Video Converterz. The explanation is written in small font. It says that clicking the Download button will install the said extension. However, it will change browser’s default search (common activity by browser hijackers) and I will have access to the functionality of the said extension.
Dangers behind 0123movies.com and similar sites
What actually happens is that by exploring suggested pages, software or add-ons, or even worse, installing them, you put your privacy and security at risk. By installing extensions from sites like 0123movies.com, you allow installation of so-called Yahoo redirect viruses, or, in some cases, Bing redirect viruses. These are meant to promote these certain search engines, collect your search queries and other browsing-related data to display customized ads for you.
Besides, such add-ons slow down your browser and can redirect you to suspicious websites unexpectedly. Therefore, I truly recommend staying away from such things online.
As I previously mentioned, the site can cause redirects to lottery or gaming sites. These may request you to provide personal information (name, surname, email address, etc.) and can use these for unknown purposes.
What is more, clicking on suspicious ads or links is the easiest method to end up on tech support scam or phishing sites. Sites that trigger loads of ads are NEVER trustworthy, so make sure you stay away from 0123movies.com.
Remove 0123movies.com redirect virus
In case you have installed something from the questionable movies site, we suggest removing it using instructions provided below. We’ll refer to the installed programs as 0123movies.com redirect virus, as such programs mostly cause unwanted redirects and pop-up ads.
To uninstall 0123movies and related programs safely from your computer, please follow the instructions given down below.
0123movies.com Removal Tutorial
To remove the unwanted program from your computer, use these instructions below to uninstall associated programs or apps from your Windows or Mac computer. Then scroll down for instructions how to clean each affected web browser individually.
Remove 0123movies.com from Windows
Windows 10/8.1/8 users
Click on the Windows logo to open Windows menu. In search, type control panel and select the matching result. Then go to Programs and Features.
Windows 7 users
First, open Windows menu by clicking on the icon in the lower left corner of the screen. Then go to Control Panel and find section called Programs. Click on the Uninstall a program option under it.
Windows XP users
In Windows XP, click Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs.
Uninstall unwanted programs
Once in Programs and Features, look through the list of installed programs. You can click on Installed on tab to sort the programs by their installation date.
Right-click on suspicious programs you can't remember installing and choose Uninstall. Follow instructions provided by the Uninstall Wizard, click Next and finally Finish to uninstall the unwanted program from your PC.
Remove 0123movies.com from Mac
- Click on Finder.
- Go to Applications folder.
- Look for suspicious applications you can't remember installing. Right-click them and select Move to Trash.
- After moving all suspicious apps to Trash, right-click the Trash bin in Mac's Dock and select Empty Trash.
Remove 0123movies.com from Google Chrome
Remove suspicious Chrome extensions
- Open Chrome and type chrome://extensions into address bar and press Enter.
- Here, look for suspicious extensions, and Remove them.
- Don't forget to confirm by pressing Remove in the confirmation pop-up.
Change Start Page settings
- In Chrome address bar, type chrome://settings and press Enter.
- Scroll down to the On startup section. Check for suspicious extensions controlling these settings, and Disable them.
- Additionally, you can set browser to Open a specific page or set of pages via these settings. Simply choose this option, click Add a new page, enter your preferred URL (f.e. www.google.com) and press Add.
Change default search settings
- In Chrome URL bar, type chrome://settings/searchEngines and press Enter. Make sure you type searchEngines, not searchengines. Additionally, you can go to chrome://settings and find Manage search engines option.
- First, look at the list of search engines and find the one you want to set as default. Click the three dots next to it and select Make Default.
- Finally, look through the list and eliminate suspicious entries. Right-click the three dots and select Remove from the list.
Reset Google Chrome browser
- The final option is to reset Google Chrome. Type chrome://settings in the URL bar, press Enter and then scroll down until you see Advanced option. Click it and scroll to the bottom of the settings.
- Click Restore settings to their original defaults.
- Click Restore settings to confirm.
Remove 0123movies.com from Mozilla Firefox
Remove unwanted add-ons from Firefox
- Open Firefox and type about:addons in the URL bar. Press Enter.
- Now, click on Extensions (in the left section).
- Click Remove next to every suspicious browser add-on that you can't remember installing.
Change Firefox Homepage
- In Firefox address bar, type about:preferences and hit Enter.
- Look at the left and click the Home tab.
- Here, delete the suspicious URL and type or paste in the URL of a website you'd like to set as your homepage.
Alter preferences in Firefox
- Type about:config in Firefox address bar and hit Enter.
- Click I accept the risk! to continue.
- Here, type in the URL which has taken over your browser without your knowledge. Right-click each value that includes it and choose Reset.
Reset Mozilla Firefox
- In Firefox, type about:support in the address bar and press Enter.
- Click on Refresh Firefox...
- Click Refresh Firefox again to confirm.
Remove 0123movies.com from Microsoft Edge
Remove suspicious extensions:
- Open MS Edge browser and click on the three dots button in the top right corner, then click on Extensions.
- Look through the list of installed extensions and find the ones you can't remember installing or simply suspicious-looking ones. Right-click on them and choose Uninstall. Then confirm by pressing Uninstall again.
Change MS Edge Start Page and default search engine:
- Click on the three dots again and go to Settings. First, make sure that you choose to Open Microsoft Edge with A specific page or pages option. Then click the X next to suspicious URLs and type in the one you want to set as your homepage. Click the Save icon to confirm.
- Click on the three dots > Settings. Scroll down and click on Show Advanced Settings. Then scroll down until you find Change search engine button. Click it. Here, select the search engine you prefer using and click Set as default.
Additionally, we recommend selecting and Removing suspicious search engines.
Clear browsing data:
- Click on the three dots in the top right corner again and click on Settings. Find Clear browsing data section and click Choose what to clear button.
- In the next window, select all options and click Clear.
Remove 0123movies.com from Safari
Uninstall suspicious Safari extensions
- Open Safari and click on Safari button in the top left corner. Select Preferences in the menu that appears on the screen.
- Now, go to Extensions tab. Look at the left to see all installed extensions, click on suspicious ones and hit that Uninstall button as shown in the picture. Confirm your choice by clicking Uninstall again. Repeat until you get rid of all unwanted extensions.
Change Safari Homepage and default search engine
- In Preferences, open the General tab. Here, check what URL is set as your homepage. Delete it and type in whatever URL you want to set as your Safari Start Page.
- Next, go to the Search tab. Here, choose what Search engine you want to set as default.
- Next, click on Manage websites... then Remove all... and then Done.
- Click on Safari > Clear History...
- Then choose to clear All history and hit Clear History button to confirm.
- Go to Safari > Preferences and then open Privacy tab.
- Click Manage Website Data... then Remove All. To finish, click Done.
- Finally, clear Safari cache. In Safari Menu, click Develop > Clear Cache.
Remove 0123movies.com from Internet Explorer
TIP: If you are still using IE, we strongly advise using Microsoft Edge or a different browser because Microsoft is no longer providing technical or security support for IE browser.
Remove suspicious extensions from IE
- Now, go back to Toolbars and Extensions.
- Below Show:, select All add-ons.
- Right-click suspicious extensions and choose Disable, or, if available - Remove.
- If any pop-up appears, confirm your choice.
Tip: If you can't find any suspicious extensions, most likely you have uninstalled them via Programs and Features already. This mostly applies to IE browser.
Change default search provider and remove suspicious ones
- Open Internet Explorer and click on the gear icon in the top right of the window.
- Then select Manage Add-ons.
- Here, click on Search Providers tab.
- Here, we recommend setting Bing, Google or another trusted and well-known search provider as default. To do it, right-click the provider and choose Set as default.
- Now you can right-click suspicious search providers and choose Remove.
Change IE Home Page
- In Internet Explorer, click the gear icon in the top left corner.
- Choose Internet Options.
- Change Home Page URL to whatever page you want to use as your homepage.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
Reset Internet Explorer
- Click the gear icon in IE menu > Internet Options. Now click on Advanced tab.
- Under Reset Internet Explorer settings, click Reset...
- Click on the checkbox next to Delete personal settings.
- Click Reset.
- To finish, click Close.
Norbert Webb is the head of Geek’s Advice team. He is the chief editor of the website who controls the quality of content published. The man also loves reading cybersecurity news, testing new software and sharing his insights on them. Norbert says that following his passion for information technology was one of the best decisions he has ever made. “I don’t feel like working while I’m doing something I love.” However, the geek has other interests, such as snowboarding and traveling.