Close inspection of Norton Security software
- Close inspection of Norton Security software
- Protection features provided by Symantec’s Norton Antivirus
- Download and install Norton securely
- Our verdict on Norton Security
Norton Security (by Symantec) is one of the best-recognized security products for computers which has been in the industry for nearly 30 years now. The security firm has received the Best Protection award for Norton Security, and its Mobile Security has received an Innovation award from the AV-Test group, which is known for its independent, unbiased and trustworthy security software reviews.
The security vendor provides many security solutions including Norton AntiVirus Basic, Norton Security Standard/Deluxe/Premium. This article is a fair review of this antivirus software and includes the main pros and cons from our point of view.
System requirements for those willing to install Norton Antivirus
Windows: XP (32-bit) with SP3 or later; Vista with SP1 or later; 7 with SP1 or later; 8/8.1/10 (except Windows 10 S). Edge browser isn’t currently supported, and some protection features might not function in Windows 8 Start screen browsers.
Mac OS: Requires current and previous two versions of Mac OS X. Norton Family and Norton Family Premier features are not supported, as well as Password Management feature.
Android OS: Android 4.0.3 or later, must have the Google Play app installed on the device. Those willing to use Norton Family Premier need to have Android 4 or later.
iOS: 9 or later.
If you are looking forward to protecting only one device of your choice, you can settle with either Basic or Standard Antivirus versions. However, only Norton Security Deluxe and Premium versions offer protection for more devices. With Deluxe, you can secure up to 5 PCs, Macs, smartphones or tablets, and with Premium, you can increase the number of protected devices to 10.
Now, let’s overview the main features of every product and see which of the products offers maximum protection for your smart devices.
Protection features provided by Symantec’s Norton Antivirus
Norton Antivirus Basic
Norton AntiVirus Basic is a quite limited but sturdy antivirus product that can perform traditional and essential functions, but we wouldn’t recommend it if you are looking for an all-in-one deal. For only $19.99 per year (regular price $49.99) it can defend your files from ransomware attacks, protect you from virus infections, spyware (you won’t see those pesky ads that come with the majority of free software) and also other malware forms.
In addition, it provides a guarding shield against data-stealing threats online (identity thieves, scams, phishing, and etc.), so that you could browse the Internet securely and without fear of losing private or financial information. Finally, the Basic version uses a large global civilian intelligence networks, which guarantees a faster threat detection.
Norton Antivirus Basic costs $49.99 per year; however, special discounts are occasionally provided, and you might be able to grab the product for around $19.99.
Norton Security Standard
Norton Security Standard provides the same features as the Basic antivirus version. However, since it is an upgraded product, it provides a set of features that the Basic versions lack. You can grab the license for $29.99 for the first year, although the regular price per year is $69.99. Therefore, besides spyware and malware protection, privacy protection and usage of the global civilian intelligence network, it also suggests the following extras:
- Defends your home network with a smart firewall.
- Gives you access to 24/7 customer support by Norton AntiVirus experts.
- Ensures better and speedier protection compared to other antivirus products. In independent lab tests, the software has demonstrated outstanding performance results, making this product win various awards more times than any other security company did.
- Contains a 100% guarantee by the antivirus developers. It means that starting from the moment you subscribe, Norton’s expert will help you keep your PC virus-free. Besides, you will be eligible for a refund in case the antivirus fails to delete a threat from your computer.
Norton Security Deluxe
Norton Security Deluxe includes features listed in Basic and Standard antivirus versions from Norton; however, it can be used as a multi-protector for up to 5 devices. Deluxe allows you to protect PCs, Macs, or smartphones, giving you access to a user-friendly Web portal which can be used for protection management. The price for the first year is $39.99 (regular price $89.99).
Just like the previously mentioned products, Norton Deluxe will protect multiple devices in real-time attacks, defend files against ransomware, secure your financial and sensitive data when you surf the Internet, protect your home network with a firewall, provide you with 24/7 support, remove and keep away malware.
Also, the software will keep your Android devices secured by alerting you about dangerous and untrustworthy Android apps. Norton informs you how the selected Google Play app will influence your device’s battery life. Also, it tells whether the device has privacy risks or malware. This feature is advantageous as Android virus is on the rise nowadays. Finally, the product also comes with a 100% guarantee to keep your devices virus-free.
Norton Security Premium
Norton Security Premium is an all-in-one deal for those willing to protect up to 10 devices at once. The regular price for one year is $109.99, but if you are a first-time user, you can grab the offer for $49.99 for the first year. It is a great deal for family protection or small business protection. The Premium version guards you against existing and newly emerging PC, Mac and Android viruses, keeps your privacy secured, and comes with additional features including:
- A pack of Norton Family Premier features. These exclusive features allow you to build healthy browsing habits for your kids without restricting them too much. Norton helps to protect your kids from sharing too much online, tracks time they spend on their devices, and creates an environment for safe online exploration. Youwill be able to see what your kids are doing using special tools that come with the antivirus or receive notifications via email.
- 25 GB of storage in a cloud. Norton helps you protect your files against data-damaging malware including ransomware.
To ease your life, the software will automatically find documents, photos, music or movies that need to be backed up. If you exceed the 25 GB limit, you’ll be able to add more space easily.
Download and install Norton securely
You must download Norton Security from a trustworthy source in order to receive the right and legitimate product. Do not trust suspicious torrent sites or web pages that offer a full version of the product for free. These are likely to be illegal and won’t provide you with maximum protection. Not even to mention that you would be breaking the law by attempting to obtain a paid software version illegally.
The easiest way to download and install Norton antivirus is to:
- Download Norton Security to your computer. Run the installer to start. During the installation, the software shows useful “Did you know?” slides, providing information about most prevalent malware types and scams.
- Follow the instructions provided on your screen and install Norton protection on your device.
- The security software should start automatically after the installation. If it doesn’t, find its icon on your desktop and start it by double-clicking it.
- You will see Norton Antivirus login window. You can enter your account details here or create new account.
- After signing in, you can either overview or skip tour.
- In the main window, click Subscribe. This will take you to Norton’s website. Here, you can purchase the license for a year.
- In case you already have the product key, login to your account via the aforementioned website and go to My Norton > Devices and choose the device you’re using. Click Enter A Key to activate your antivirus product.
Our verdict on Norton Security
Norton comes with a variety of outstanding features including a password manager, malware blocker, exploit protection, spam filters and search results checker. Although the basic antivirus version lacks several features that we’d like it to have, you can upgrade the product anytime and enjoy extra specials such as 24/7 support. Surely, Norton offers several different products for different needs
You will definitely find this antivirus useful, despite how many devices you own. Therefore, if you are looking for a time-tested and quality antivirus product, definitely choose Norton for your PC, Mac or smartphone protection.
Norbert Webb is the head of Geek’s Advice team. He is the chief editor of the website who controls the quality of content published. The man also loves reading cybersecurity news, testing new software and sharing his insights on them. Norbert says that following his passion for information technology was one of the best decisions he has ever made. “I don’t feel like working while I’m doing something I love.” However, the geek has other interests, such as snowboarding and traveling.