Things to know if your Windows OS acts sluggish
- Things to know if your Windows OS acts sluggish
- Clean and Speed up Windows easily
- 1 Method: Consider using powerful Windows maintenance software
- 2 Method: Uninstall Spyware, Malware, and programs you don’t use
- 3 Method. Decrease the number of Startup programs
- 4 Method. Upgrade Power Settings in Windows
- 5 Method. Use the Disk Cleanup tool
- 6 method. Try the Performance Troubleshooter
- 7 method. Install SSD Startup Drive
- 8 method. Increase RAM storage
- 9 Method. Disable Search Indexing
- 10 Method. Increase performance by downgrading Windows appearance
- 11 Method. Speed up Windows Boot
Many people look for ways to speed up Windows 10 for gaming or work. It is the latest operating system from Microsoft, but various factors can interfere its smooth operation. Even if you have the newest version installed, you may encounter problems such as system slowdowns, slow system boot, program crashes or nerve-racking lags. In order to avoid these issues, you need to go through the given checklist (which we provide below) and check which of the listed problems apply to you.
Before we get to the list of recommended Windows’ speed-up options, we would like to advise you on what NOT to do. We provided a list of tips on things you should avoid when trying to take your PC’s performance to another level.
Common mistakes to avoid when boosting Windows performance
- Do not use Windows Defender as main security software. We are not about to advertise other security programs, but according to user feedback on numerous computer forums and review sites, Windows Defender isn’t a pure perfection. Besides, we believe that it is better to invest in a product that has been developed by companies that focus on computer protection and upgraded regularly. Unfortunately, Windows Defender gets a no from us. As it isn’t a top notch security program, it won’t defend you from the latest malware variants in all cases, therefore your PC may be compromised and its performance can drop.
- Do not load your computer with things you don’t necessarily need. Let us clear it up – it doesn’t matter whether it’s files, programs or browser add-ons, do not save them on your computer unless you are entirely sure you need them, and these are safe ones. We highly recommend researching software’s safety and reputation online before you install it on your computer. The same goes with browser add-ons. When it comes to files, make sure you download them from trustworthy sources only.
- Never run many programs at one time, unless you absolutely need to. Using one program, shutting it down and then using another is the best practice when it comes to computer speed optimization. If several programs use PC’s resources at the same time, you’ll end up running into lags or even software crashes.
Some of the tutorials on how to speed up Windows 2020 will tell you to opt-out some of the operating system’s visual tricks; however, our team does not believe that these are the major players when it comes to PC’s performance issues. Although we added these tips at the very end of the tutorial, we suggest trying them only if everything else fails to improve Windows performance.
Clean and Speed up Windows easily
1 Method: Consider using powerful Windows maintenance software
There are many reasons that can slow down your PC. Finding the right one manually can be hard. We recommend an award-winning PC maintenance software suite which combines 7 powerful tools in one. Speed up Windows easily in a few minutes. This premium software boosts PC performance, fights malware and includes other beneficial tools such as data recovery software and privacy-protecting features.
FIX IT NOW
Compatibility: Microsoft Windows
Fix PC errors, repair virus damage and identify hardware/stability issues using RESTORO – a unique PC Repair tool using a patented technology to replace damaged or missing Windows system files, which often are the real cause of annoying Windows errors. Try the FREE scan option to search for stability, security and hardware-related issues. To fix identified problems and receive hardware-related recommendations, you have to purchase the license key for the full software version.
2 Method: Uninstall Spyware, Malware, and programs you don’t use
The first step to make when trying to boost Windows performance is to uninstall unnecessary software. It does not only use space on your computer but slow it down as well. Therefore, you must go to Control Panel > Programs and Features and get rid of programs you don’t need. You can also sort programs by installation date and see the ones you probably haven’t used in a while.
Uninstalling regular programs is easy – however, when it comes to viruses and malware, consider using professional security software. If you have one, just update it to its latest version and run a system scan. If you do not have one yet, we suggest using System Mechanic Ultimate Defense.
Additional tip: Check your browsers for suspicious toolbars and add-ons. You have to find each toolbar on Chrome, Firefox, Safari or another browser you are using and delete them. On the other hand, using antivirus or anti-malware program will solve this issue for you automatically.
3 Method. Decrease the number of Startup programs
When your system boots, it automatically runs a limited set of programs. However, if your Windows is configured to launch many programs at startup, you will go through slow system boot and face other performance issues later on. To avoid it, limit the startup processes wisely. Think about programs you need to be running when the system launches, and which ones aren’t essential. To control startup processes, follow these steps:
- Press Ctrl+Alt+Del. Select Task Manager. Now go to Startup tab.
- Right-click on programs you don’t need to auto-run on startup and select Disable.
4 Method. Upgrade Power Settings in Windows
This method might slightly alter your electricity bills, but also will boost Windows performance. Simply press Windows key + R, type control panel, then go to System and Security > Power options. Here, push the v button to expand the additional plans. Choose High Performance, if available.
5 Method. Use the Disk Cleanup tool
You can use a trusted Windows system tool known as Disk Cleanup utility to delete junk files that clutter your operating system and speed up Windows. Disk Cleanup has been a part of Windows OS for a long time – it was first introduced with Windows 98. Its primary function is to get rid of temporary files, thumbnails, junk from Recycle Bin and offline Web pages.
- To open it, simply type Disk Cleanup in Windows search bar and select the search result. Then select files to delete and click OK, then Delete Files.
- You may also want to use the Cleanup system files button to calculate how much space you can get after a cleanup.
6 method. Try the Performance Troubleshooter
You should solve as many Windows problems as possible using in-built troubleshooters.
- Therefore, use search to go to Troubleshoot panel in Settings. Here, we suggest running all troubleshooters suggested, such as Search and Indexing, Power, Program Compatibility, Hardware, and Devices or Blue Screen ones.
- Also, go to Control Panel > System and Security > Security and Maintenance and check for additional tips on how to improve your computer’s performance.
7 method. Install SSD Startup Drive
An SSD or Solid State Drive not only helps your computer to start up faster but also load various programs quicker. To put it simply, SSD helps PC to boot in seconds, and it can be used instead of internal startup hard drive (HDD). However, an external Solid State Drive with USB connection can be used as an extra speed booster.
8 method. Increase RAM storage
The more RAM (random access memory) you have, the better. It is used to store data that the PC is actively using and helps to access it quickly. Although you cannot add RAM for absolutely all Windows devices, the majority of gaming and business laptops are upgradable. You should consider using product finders in websites’ of RAM makers (for example, Kingston or others) and seeing which RAM types are compatible with your PC.
9 Method. Disable Search Indexing
Although this one isn’t a major player when it comes to lower Windows performance, search indexing can still slightly contribute to it. It mainly bothers lower-powered PC owners as it uses a considerable amount of system resources. Therefore, to speed up Windows by disabling search indexing, you should type index in Windows search box, and open result called Indexing Options. Click Modify and then deselect locations you do not want to be indexed. We suggest choosing folders that contain data you may never search (for example, folders containing pictures).
10 Method. Increase performance by downgrading Windows appearance
In case the situation is bad, and you are really willing to try every possible method to boost bad Windows performance, you can say goodbye to some Windows visual extras. To do this, follow the given steps:
- Type adjust appearance in Windows search. Select the corresponding result – Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows.
- You can now choose Adjust for best performance. This will deselect all of the visual effects. If you wish to save some, just choose Custom option and select the ones you want to keep. Click Apply and OK.
- The next thing you can do is go opaque. Use Windows search to open Settings, then go to Personalization > Colors and then click on the toggle under Transparency effects.
11 Method. Speed up Windows Boot
- First of all, go to Control Panel. Here, go to Hardware and Sound > Power Options and then select Choose what the power buttons do option on the left panel.
- If you cannot customize the settings, click on Change settings that are currently unavailable. Then make sure that Turn on fast startup is selected.
- Click Save Changes to confirm.
Norbert Webb is the head of Geek’s Advice team. He is the chief editor of the website who controls the quality of content published. The man also loves reading cybersecurity news, testing new software and sharing his insights on them. Norbert says that following his passion for information technology was one of the best decisions he has ever made. “I don’t feel like working while I’m doing something I love.” However, the geek has other interests, such as snowboarding and traveling.
Sewa Bus Semarang says
Fakhar Ali says
Great work! Best article to speed up computer windows 10.
Great ways to speed up Windows! I always stressed about those system slowdowns. This guide helped me to find the problem and boost Windows 10 performance greatly. Turns out the issue was too many startup programs. Thanks! 🙂