Causes of VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing Error
- Causes of VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing Error
- How to Fix VCRUNTIME140.DLL is Missing
- Method 1. Repair Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
- Method 2. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
- Method 3. Try unregistering and registering VCRUNTIME140.DLL file again
- Method 4. Run System File Checker
- Method 4. Reinstall the software which triggers VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error
- Method 5. Troubleshoot problems with Windows Store Apps
VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing is an error message that typically appears after an attempt to launch a particular program on Windows. It says that the software can’t start due to the absence of a specific DLL file. The system error pop-up usually suggests reinstalling the program to fix the issue.
VCRUNTIME140.DLL is part of Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable. If its missing or corrupted, you might run into one of the listed pop-ups. Each of them addresses the same issue.
- The program can’t start because vcruntime140.dll is missing from your computer. Try reinstalling the program to fix this problem.
- vcruntime140.dll is either not designed to run on Windows, or it contains an error. Try installing the program again using the original installation media or contact your system administrator or the software vendor for support
- Error loading vcruntime140.dll. The specified module could not be found.
- The code execution cannot proceed because vcruntime140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program may fix this problem.
- There was a problem starting vcruntime140.dll. The specified module could not be found.
According to user complaints on online forums, the issue most frequently occurs when attempting to launch popular programs like Photoshop.exe, Skype.exe, Piriform.exe, HTTPD.exe, or PHP.exe.
However, the standard message is very vague and doesn’t inform about all possible ways of fixing VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing error on Windows 7, 8 or 10. In fact, it hardly gives an idea of what to start with. Therefore, we have prepared a complete guide that includes various options for the specified error removal.
Typical causes of VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing error
- Installation of Windows update;
- Faulty installation of a specific software;
- Problems with one of many Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable packages (most common issue).
Luckily, you have visited Geek’s Advice blog, as we have addressed this common issue and prepared an in-depth tutorial on how to fix VCRUNTIME140.DLL missing error quickly.
How to Fix VCRUNTIME140.DLL is Missing
Method 1. Repair Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
Before you try any other method, first try to repair Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable to fix VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing error. Follow the steps given below.
- Press Windows key + R to launch Run window and type control panel here. Press Enter.
- In Control Panel, navigate to Programs &Features.
- Here, find Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable and right-click on it, then choose Change.
- In the next pop-up, choose Repair.
- When UAC pop-up appears, agree by clicking Yes.
- Wait patiently until you get Setup Successful message. Click Close to finish.
- Try launching the software that caused the issue again to see if the error is gone.
Method 2. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 Redistributable
If repairing the software didn’t solve the VCRUNTIME140.DLL is not found issue, consider reinstalling Microsoft Visual C++ 2015 from scratch. After that, you need to choose the file you need according to your operating system version. For 32-bit Windows, choose the x86 download. For the 64-bit version, pick the x64 one.
How to find out whether you’re using 32-bit or 64-bit version of Windows:
- In Windows search, type System Information and open the matching result.
- Look at the value of System Type.
It is extremely important that you download the missing files from a safe source, so make sure you get the download from Microsoft’s official website (link is provided below).
- Download Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable 2015 from Microsoft. Choose the version according to instructions provided earlier.
- Once you choose the required version, click Next.
- You should see your download in the browser bar, so click on it.
- Click Run in a Open File – Security Warning pop-up. It just informs that you’re about to open a file downloaded from the Internet.
- Put a tick that you agree to License terms and conditions and then click the Install button in the next window as shown below.
- In UAC window, click Yes. Wait until the process is over and check if the VCRUNTIME140.DLL is missing message still appears when launching particular software.
Method 3. Try unregistering and registering VCRUNTIME140.DLL file again
This easy and automated method can help to solve the issue in seconds. Follow these steps:
- Launch Command prompt as administrator first. Type cmd in Windows search, then right-click on the corresponding result and choose Run as Administrator.
- In UAC, press Yes.
- Unregister the file by typing the following line (put a space before and after /u) and press Enter.
regsvr32 /u VCRUNTIME140.dll
- Now, re-register file by entering the following command:
- Check if the issue is resolved now.
Method 4. Run System File Checker
System File Checker can repair missing or corrupted system files, and therefore solve VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing problem.
- Open Windows search and type CMD. Right-click the Command Prompt result and choose Run as Administrator. In UAC, choose Yes.
- In CMD, type sfc /scannow and press Enter to start the procedure.
- Wait patiently until the system scan is finished and check if the problem persists.
Method 4. Reinstall the software which triggers VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error
If any other suggested method failed to help, consider reinstalling the software that fails to open and displays the VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing pop-up. To reinstall the program, follow these steps:
- Firstly, use Windows search to find Apps & Features. Problems with search? Try this Windows search not working guide.
- Secondly, find the program associated with the error (you can use search) and select it. Click Uninstall. Then click Uninstall again. Wait until the process is finished.
- Thirdly, go to the official website of the particular software and download it again. After doing so, click on the downloaded Setup file and follow the instructions to install the software on your computer again. Once installed, restart the computer and see if the “VCRUNTIME140.DLL was not found” error still occurs.
Method 5. Troubleshoot problems with Windows Store Apps
In case you run into VCRUNTIME140.dll is missing error when launching an app downloaded via Windows Store, try this method.
- Firstly, use Windows search to find and access Troubleshoot panel in Windows.
- Secondly, scroll down through all the troubleshooters and find the one for Windows Store Apps. Click on it and select Run the troubleshooter. Wait until it detects problems and consider applying fixes that it suggests.
Some sources recommend to download VCRUNTIME140.DLL file separately and place it into game installation folders, however, we strongly advise you to use methods described earlier as they aren’t temporary workarounds and fix the issue for good. Besides, downloading files from unknown sources can be dangerous!
If you have found another method to fix the issue, we’d me more than happy if you shared it with us in the comments section below.
Norbert Webb is the head of Geek’s Advice team. He is the chief editor of the website who controls the quality of content published. The man also loves reading cybersecurity news, testing new software and sharing his insights on them. Norbert says that following his passion for information technology was one of the best decisions he has ever made. “I don’t feel like working while I’m doing something I love.” However, the geek has other interests, such as snowboarding and traveling.