The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) is an error message indicating a problem when launching an application on Windows. The issue mostly occurs after upgrading Windows, or installing 32-bit software instead of 64-bit or vice versa. Typically, the issue is related to Microsoft Visual C++, .NET Framework or Direct X.
Since there is no magic way to identify the real cause of the problem, you will need to dedicate some time and try several methods listed below to fix 0xc000007b on Windows and be able to launch your favourite applications again.
We have noticed that the majority of people who run into this error use Windows 7 64 bit or Windows 7 32 bit versions. However, Windows 8 or 10 users often encounter The application was unable to start correctly error as well.
We’ll begin with the easier methods to apply, and proceed with techniques that can seem more advanced for beginners.
9 Methods to Fix 0xc000007b Error (The Application Was Unable to Start Correctly)
- 9 Methods to Fix 0xc000007b Error (The Application Was Unable to Start Correctly)
- 1 Method. Restart your computer
- 2 Method. Run the program as administrator
- 3 Method. Check & fix the disk errors automatically
- 4 Method. Reinstall your application
- 5 Method. Install Windows Update to fix error 0xc000007b
- 6 Method. Reinstall the .NET Framework
- 7 Method. Repair DirectX installation
- 8 Method. Repair Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables to fix 0xc000007b
- 9 Method. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables
The application was unable to start correctly 0xc00007b error can be fixed using one of the given methods.
1 Method. Restart your computer
It is a well-known fact that a fresh computer reboot can fix many things, including error code 0xc000007b on Windows 7, 8, and 10. Therefore, simply click Start > Power Button and choose Restart.
2 Method. Run the program as administrator
Running the program giving you the 0xc000007b error in administrator’s mode can actually help to open it correctly. There are several ways you can attempt to run a program (such as GTA5, Far Cry 4, Assassin’s Creed, Adobe, Autocad, or others) as Admin.
2.1 Run from Windows search
- Open Windows search and type in the name of the program you want to launch.
- Once a result comes up, right-click it and choose Run as Administrator.
- If required, enter the admin’s password. Otherwise, if you are logged in as admin, click Yes in User Account Control window.
2.2 Run the program as admin via its settings
The second method of running the troublesome application as admin to solve The Application The application was unable to start correctly 0xc000007b Windows 8 or 10 error is to set it to always run it as Administrator. Here’s how to do it:
- First, you need your program’s executive file. Whether you have it on your Desktop or in a folder where it is installed (you can search for program via Windows search, right-click the result and choose Open File Location). Once you find the program launcher, right-click it.
- In a menu that appears, choose Properties.
- Next, click Compatibility tab.
- Here, put a tick on Run the program as an administrator.
- Click Apply.
- Click OK.
3 Method. Check & fix the disk errors automatically
One of the easiest methods to solve 0xc000007b error on Windows 7 or later is to run a CHKDSK command via Command Prompt with Admin’s rights. Here’s what you need to do:
- In Windows search, type cmd, then right-click the result and choose Run as Administrator. Click Yes or enter the admin’s password, if required.
- Next, type chkdsk c: /f /r in the command prompt and press Enter.
- Type Y and press Enter again.
- Restart your computer.
- Try launching the program again.
4 Method. Reinstall your application
Whether you are getting The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) error while launching Adobe Photoshop, Connect, GTA, Far Cry or another application, you should try uninstalling that application and reinstalling it again.
Note. Don’t use this method if you get the error frequently and with many applications. It means that the issue lies elsewhere.
- In search, type control panel and open a matching result.
- In control panel, click on Uninstall a program.
- Here, find the program which displays 0xc000007b error, select it and click Uninstall. Follow instructions on your screen.
- Go to the software’s official website and download the latest installer of it. Make sure you choose the right bit version for your PC. Install it according to instructions. See if the issue persists.
5 Method. Install Windows Update to fix error 0xc000007b
- To update Windows, open Settings (via search or Start Menu) > Update & Security.
- Here, click Check for updates or choose to Restart Now, according to information shown in Windows Update window.
6 Method. Reinstall the .NET Framework
.NET framework is a software development framework which helps to build and run programs on Windows OS. Reinstalling or upgrading to the latest version is a common practice to fix The application was unable to start correctly (0xc000007b) issue.
- Go to Microsoft’s website and see which version is marked as Recommended. Typically, it is the latest version, which is what you need. Click it.
- You will be taken to your chosen .NET framework version’s page. Here, choose to download .NET Framework (version) Runtime (or Developer, if you are a developer).
- Click on the downloaded file to open it. Click Yes in UAC window.
- Wait until the update will be installed, but follow the instructions on the screen carefully.
- Restart your computer and try launching the program again.
7 Method. Repair DirectX installation
Windows versions currently supported by Microsoft include DirectX which is updated via Windows updates. However, you can use this handy install/repair tool by Microsoft called DirectX End-User Runtime Web installer. But first, you need to delete some DirectX components first.
- Open C:\Windows\System32 if you have Windows 7 32 bit and, if you have Windows 7 64 bit version, C:\Windows\SysWOW64. (same instructions for other Windows versions).
- You now need to delete these files:
- from d3dx9_24.dll to d3dx9_43.dll;
- d3dx10.dll, then from d3dx10_33.dll to d3dx10_43.dll;
- d3dx11_42.dll and d3dx11_43.dll.
- Now, go to Microsoft’s DirectX End-User Runtime Web installer download page, choose your language and click Download.
- Open the downloaded file which should be called dxwebsetup.exe. Click Yes in UAC prompt.
- The next thing you need to do is click I accept the agreement and click Next.
- Remove the tick from Install the Bing bar to avoid Bing redirects and click Next.
- Wait for the installer to finish fixing DirectX installation.
- Restart your PC and try running your preferred application again.
8 Method. Repair Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables to fix 0xc000007b
Repairing Microsoft Visual C++ packages rather than reinstalling them is a way easier method to get rid of the discussed error. Here’s what you need to do:
- In search, type control panel. Open the matching result.
- In Control Panel, find section called Programs and click Uninstall a program under it. Depending on a Windows version, you might have to click Add or Remove Programs.
- In the top right corner, use search bar and type Microsoft Visual C++. You will see a list of packages installed on your computer. Select the first one from the list, click Change, then Repair.
- Click Yes in the pop-up window that appears.
- Wait until the package repairs itself.
- Repeat with all Microsoft Visual C++ [year] Redistributable packages.
- Restart your computer and try running the program again.
9 Method. Reinstall Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributables
If method 5 didn’t solve the problem, follow the same steps but instead of clicking Change>Repair, choose to Uninstall and repeat this for all of the packages. Then visit Microsoft’s website and download the latest supported C++ package.
We hope that you managed to start your preferred applications and finally get past 0xc000007b Error. In case you have discovered another workaround that solved the issue, please spend some time and leave a comment down below.
Norbert Webb is the head of Geek’s Advice team. He is the chief editor of the website who controls the quality of content published. The man also loves reading cybersecurity news, testing new software and sharing his insights on them. Norbert says that following his passion for information technology was one of the best decisions he has ever made. “I don’t feel like working while I’m doing something I love.” However, the geek has other interests, such as snowboarding and traveling.