AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly error origins
AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly is an annoying error message that appears on Mac or Windows when attempting to launch specific Adobe software. The error prevents users from opening programs like Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, Bridge, Creative Cloud or others. It has been noticed that the error often bothers people who update Mac OS to Mojave. In this tutorial, we’ll look through the typical causes of this error and provide methods to fix it.
To begin with, we’ll shortly cover what is AIGPUSniffer. It is a safe and legitimate process that checks GPU before launching Adobe products. Its main purpose is to prevent software crashes due to problems with graphics card.
The common reasons why this process quits unexpectedly are:
- Faulty or unsuccessful installation of Adobe updates;
- Outdated Adobe software;
- Enabled GPU Acceleration;
- Wrong File Type Association settings.
The issue seems to be bothering users since 2015 and online forums, especially Adobe, are filled with user complaints about the error. Many of them report that even reinstalling the program doesn’t help them to get rid of the problem.
However, we have looked into the issue and provided all possible ways to fix AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly error on Mac Mojave (or older) and Windows OS.
Methods to Fix AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly Error
Method 1. Disable GPU Acceleration (Most effective method on Mac or Windows)
Method 1.1. Disable Acceleration on Adobe Illustrator
One of the best methods to fix AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly is turning off GPU Acceleration. This method has been approved by many Adobe software users as the most effective one. Here’s what you need to do:
- First, you need to navigate to the program’s preferences. For example, if you’re using Adobe Illustrator, you need to click on Illustrator > Preferences. Here, click on the GPU Performance tab on the left.
- Deselect the GPU performance option and click OK.
Method 1.2. Disable hardware acceleration on older Windows versions
This is yet another option to fix AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly error. Keep in mind that this method works on certain operating systems only. Also, computers using Nvidia or AMD/ATI graphic cards won’t allow you to turn off acceleration. However, if you’re using OS that is older than Windows 10, these methods will work for you.
- Open Control Panel using Windows search.
- Go to Appearance and Personalization.
- Here, click on Display.
- Click on Advanced Settings.
- Go to the Troubleshoot tab. If you can’t see this tab, your graphic card doesn’t support this feature.
- After opening the tab, click Change Settings.
- Set Hardware acceleration setting to None and click OK.
- Press Apply and OK in the remaining window on your screen.
- Reboot your PC.
Method 2. Change Bridge Preferences
The AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly prompt can be bypassed by changing file type association settings. Here’s what you need to do:
- Open Adobe Bridge (Press Edit > Preferences if you’re using Windows or Adobe Bridge > Preferences on Mac).
- Choose File Type Association.
- Here, you can configure which files to associate with certain programs. So for example, if you’re having problems with Illustrator, scroll down to it and set it from default to Adobe Illustrator CC.
Method 3. Install updates for the program giving you the error
You can install the latest and official Adobe products’ updates via the official Adobe website.
- Go to Adobe Product Updates website.
- Here, find the program which can’t open due to AIGPUSniffer Quit Unexpectedly error. Choose the download for your OS (Mac or Windows).
- Once the download is complete, run it.
- Follow the instructions presented on the screen.
- Check if the issue persists.
Method 4. Reinstall the program
You can try to reinstall the program that doesn’t open due to AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly error on Mac or Windows. Here is how to uninstall it on Mac or Windows.
- On Windows, search for Control Panel.
- In Control Panel, find Apps & Features and click Uninstall a Program (or Add/Remove Programs).
- Find the program in the list (for example, Adobe Photoshop), select it and click Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen directions.
- Once removed, go to the official Adobe website and download the program you need. Run its installer and follow the directions for successful software installation.
- Check if AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly persists.
- Open Finder.
- Open Applications folder.
- Find the program to remove, right-click it and select Move to Trash.
- Right-click the Trash bin and choose Empty Trash.
- Now, go to the Adobe website and download a fresh copy of your software.
We hope that our methods helped you to fix AIGPUSniffer quit unexpectedly successfully. In case you discovered another method to solve the problem related to this software, please share it with us in the comments section below.
Norbert Webb is the head of Geek’s Advice team. He is the chief editor of the website who controls the quality of content published. The man also loves reading cybersecurity news, testing new software and sharing his insights on them. Norbert says that following his passion for information technology was one of the best decisions he has ever made. “I don’t feel like working while I’m doing something I love.” However, the geek has other interests, such as snowboarding and traveling.